Section VII: Common Knowledge of States
Instructions: Select the correct answer to the following obscure questions about random states in our union.
1. What is the official motto of New Jersey?
- I’ve got your motto right here.
- What happens in New Jersey stays in cement.
- The Olive Garden State.
- The blight at the end of the tunnels.
2. What is the correct spelling of the state located between Louisiana and Alabama?
- Mrs. Sippy
- Ms. Asippy
3. What archaic law is still on the books in West Virginia?
- Everyone in the state must have the same surname.
- Coon hounds are not allowed to be substitute teachers.
- If there is a fork in the road, you must either remove it or add a knife.
- Moonshine cannot be made in a septic tank.
4. What is the literal translation of the name “Oklahoma”?
- A home for Okla
- OK to stay home
- Home of casino-free Indians
- Earthquakes…what the frack!
5. In what time zone is California?
- High time
- Endless summer time
- Left Coast Time
- The Tropic of Capricorn
6. What four faces are carved into South Dakota’s Mount Rushmore?
- John, Paul, Ringo and George
- FDR, JFK, LBJ and W
- The Four Horseman of the Zombie Apocalypse
- Groucho, Harpo, Chico and Margaret Dumont
Section XIII: American Proverbs
Instructions: Select the correct ending to the following archaic American proverbs.
1. It’s always darkest before…
- you see a canary in the coal mine.
- the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.
- you come up with a bright idea.
2. People in glass houses shouldn’t…
- take a shower.
- forget to apply an SPF 100 sunscreen.
- let kids play baseball in their yard.
- get stoned.
3. Beggars can’t be…
- allowed to default on their student loans.
- called “fundraisers.”
- Uber drivers.
4. Beauty is in the eye of…
- the hurricane.
- pageant judges.
- your dog.
- someone with narcissistic syndrome.
5. A bird in the hand…
- might startle your date.
- is something to tweet about.
- is the cat’s meow.
- goes cheap.
6. Don’t put all your eggs in…
- one omelet.
- a fertility bank.
- a single catapult.
- a bottomless basket.
Section XIX: Miscellaneous People
Instructions: Select the most likely answer to the following questions about newsworthy people, whether real or imagined.
1. Who is Jared?
- A guy who bragged about losing weight on a sub sandwich diet, only to be caught downloading pictures of fresh tarts
- The lead actor in the movie “Slumlord Millionaire”
- The brother of Kay, who also owns a namesake jewelry store in the mall
- An inflatable passenger allowing a driver to illegally use the carpool lane
2. Who owns the most casinos in the U.S.?
- Two nuns from Torrance
- The Wynn-ers
- Monte Cassino
- The Great Pumpkin
3. The portrait of which famous woman will soon replace that of Andrew Jackson on the twenty dollar bill?
- Miss Piggy
- Kim Kardashian
- Wayne Newton
4. Who is buried in Grant’s Tomb?
- Jimmy Hoffa
- The Unknown Soldier
- Harry Houdini
- Cary Grant
5. Who is the author of The Art of the Deal?
- Monty Hall
- Howie Mandel
- Kanye West
- A ghostwriter for The Great Pumpkin
6. By what other name is the Statue of Liberty known?
- Lady Libertine
- Lady Gaga
- The French Connection
- Oh Buoy, It’s a Gull
Take comedy writing classes at The Second City – 10% off with code PIC.
Follow Points in Case on Twitter.